Whether feeding the hungry, sheltering homeless animals, or providing other valuable services, charities and nonprofits impact society in many ways. However, charities and nonprofits can't serve their communities without the funding that keeps them afloat. Are you affiliated with a charity or nonprofit that requires donations? If so, I have an idea that could help you raise money for your organization without spending a dime.
When charities and nonprofits host in-person fundraisers, they often spend so much on speakers, bands, food, and other costs that they barely break even. That's not the case with the project I have in mind. As a speaker and the author of Teaching Happiness And Innovation, I would like to collaborate with you to create a different kind of fundraising event.
Here's the process I suggest:
1. Reach out to your fans and supporters via social media, your website, and your email list. Say something like this: "If you're a parent, you're probably interested in helping your kids achieve happiness and success in school and life. Well, we have a way for you to learn how to do this while supporting our charity at the same time. We're excited to announce that Mike Ferry, internationally-known speaker and author of Teaching Happiness And Innovation, will be our featured speaker on (choose a date and time). Mike is a longtime middle school teacher and an expert in the science of happiness. His work has been featured in the Washington Post, Huffington Post, Christian Science Monitor, Newsmax, and on radio shows and podcast episodes around the world. He'll be talking about ways that parents can teach the art of happiness to their children."
2. Now you can explain that my presentation will be a live teleseminar (like a webinar, but a phone presentation rather than streamed online). After registering and paying for the event on your website (or another method that works better for you), listeners will be given the phone number to call and access code to enter at the time of the presentation. We will agree on an admission cost for the speech, and we will split everything 50/50. This means you don't have to spend anything!
3. After my speech, listeners will have the chance to buy my book with a portion of the proceeds ($4 out of $16) benefiting your organization. You can have supporters order books through your website, charging $16 each. Then I can ship the purchased books to you.
4. When the event is over, I can send you a PayPal invoice (or we can agree on an alternate means of payment). Here's a sample breakdown:
- We had 20 "attendees" at a cost of $20 per "ticket"
- 10 people bought copies of my book
- So, the invoice total would be $320 plus tax (20 attendees x $10, and 10 books x $12)
My goal is to help you raise funds while boosting happiness in our world. I'm looking forward to working with you to do just that.
If this strikes you as a good idea, please reach out to me. Contact me via Twitter, Facebook, or my contact page.